Manila – Manila being the birthplace of the country’s fire department houses some of the oldest fire stations that have withstood the test of time. Tanduay and Intramuros Fire Stations are two of the first four stations built in the year 1902, while Sta. Mesa Fire Station was established in 1919.

For more than a century of protecting lives and fighting fires in the city and places near the metropolis, BFP Manila finally obtained a deed of usufruct from the city government. Today, Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko” Moreno grants the free use of the six lots where the oldest fire stations in the city and in the country, as well as Sta. Ana, Gagalangin, and Arroceros Fire Stations, have been standing for many decades.

“While it is true that we value our volunteers – thanks to them – at the same time, I would like to commend BFP Manila for doing their job and excelling at it,” Mayor Moreno says, recognizing BFP Manila’s laudable contributions in promoting the safety of the Manileños and protecting the gains of the city. To help ensure that the Manileños will enjoy nothing but the best of Manila Fire District (BFP Manila) always, the city government also donates 14 fire and rescue vehicles, namely: six fire engines; two aerial ladder trucks; two rescue trucks; one tanker truck; one mobile kitchen; one shelter truck/mobile clinic; and one urban search and rescue (USAR) trailer.

The entire BFP receives the city’s generosity and full support with extreme gratitude, especially that these developments are perfectly aligned with the agency’s modernization.

“Basta ang importante ligtas kayo, at mas marami tayong maliligtas,” [Translation: What is important is that you are safe and that we can save more lives] the celebrated Manila Mayor wraps up the rendezvous full of optimism.

BFP Chief, Director Jose S. Embang, Jr., represents the bureau, along with CSupt Gilbert D. Dolot, BFP NCR Director; SSupt Geranndie A. Agonos, Manila City Fire Director; the regional command group; and other NCR district fire directors.